Attendee field definitely the culprit

See subject. I checked the API documentation, and it has a complete list of iCalendar attributes that the server returns. So, in my downloader code I just listed out each attribute except ATTENDEE. With that list of attributes, it took about 1 minute to download a year’s worth of data. When I added ATTENDEE in, the download pretty much ground to a halt.

So at any rate, it looks like I want to leave ATTENDEE out when doing my bulk downloads. That’s a bit of a bummer, though, because it means I won’t get attendee lists for meetings etc. It’d be useful to have that. What about this compromise: for a small window, say today through two weeks from today, I’ll export events with attendees. Then, for events outside that window, I’ll export events without attendees. I think that gives me the best compromise between performance and function.

The only other possible issue I can think of is, the UID field. Each event has a UID field that uniquely identifies that event. I’m hoping the UID stays consistent across multiple exports of the same data. I’m pretty sure the Palm sync stuff keys off the UID, so keeping the UID consistent should make the Palm sync process faster and more reliable. I did try exporting the same date range (all of 2005) twice, saving the results to a file, and comparing the files. The UIDs were the same both times, so that’s a good (although not conclusive) sign.

Next up: I’ll massage the data as necessary and try turning it into an iCal subscription.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s